Friday, May 23, 2008

Susan Nadean Clark--Christopher's Eternal Sweetheart!

I will write more about Christopher I am sure, but today, I just wanted to highlight my very first Daughter-in-law. My first memory of meeting Susie was at a Young Men's/ Young Women's activity. I had driven our 15 passenger van to Logan where the activity was taking place. We had not lived in Utah long. I did not know anyone in our ward. (our church congregation) My youngest, Shawnie, was just 2 years old, and I had all my children at home at this time. While the little ones waited with me out in the van, Christopher approached the van with two or three young ladies. One of the young women, (it was Susie!) began to name off each of the children that were with me. I was amazed! She knew all of my children's names! And, she identified each one correctly! There have been many times that I can not get my children's names straight! And, I must simply resort to pointing my finger directly at them as I say," YOU, you know who you are!"
Needless to say, I was impressed! Then, as I watched her mingle with all age groups, it was clear that she was as comfortable with her peers as she was with the aged and the young! She was so very positive and up-beat! Susie radiated joy and enthusiasm! Her smile was infectious and her spirit so very kind and accommodating. And, she took a genuine interest in everyone she met.
It meant even more to me, that she extended her kindness and friendship to all of my children, because my children were struggling with a major cross-country move, a bitter divorce and adjusting to the public school system. None of the children had been enrolled in public schools---with the brief exception of my oldest, Bonnie. And, now, due to the specifics of the divorce decree, I had lost my freedom to choose how to educate my children.
I wish I could say that I was functioning as a mother at this point! But, I was not. I was working full-time nights as the Night Nurse Supervisor of the local Nursing Home and the work of maintaining the home and children was equally distributed amongst my oldest children. I basically worked, and slept and that was it! I do not think I was emotionally available to any of my children in those earliest, darkest days after the divorce.
But, Susie, bless her heart, adopted our family as her own and began to friendship and comfort us all.
I remember a particularly bitter Sunday. It was just before the Primary Program was to begin and I had been asked to sit with a group of restless, wiggly 6-7 year old children, during the entire Sacrament Meeting program. Just prior to taking my place on the stand with those children, a woman in our congregation approached me. She stated her name and extended to me a couple of 3x5 cards. Then she explained that a fireside was going to take place that evening and she wanted me to write down my experiences with marriage. I looked at her, puzzled and then said, "I know I am new, and so you may not have heard, but, I am NOT married, I am divorced!" The woman then responded that she was aware that I was divorced and that was exactly WHY she wanted my input most of all. She continued on by saying that all those who were married would be able to learn a great deal from my mistakes! She again asked that I share those mistakes with all those who would be in attendance at the fireside, by writing down my thoughts upon the cards she was attempting to hand to me.
I could feel the hot tears well up in my eyes, but, I said nothing! I absently took the cards proffered and I somehow found my way up to the place---IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE CONGREGATION!! and sat down with the children. I tried so very hard to suppress the sorrow and the tears. But, the pain was so very intense, the wound so raw that I could not. The tears began to flow freely and my vision was obscured. Thankfully, there were so many children and so much activity, I was sure that I would NOT be noticed, and I bowed my head and tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. BUT, one person did notice. I honestly do not know how many others were aware that I was losing my composure, but Susie had, and she kindly came to me and asked me what was wrong. I could not answer. I could not explain. I struggled to regain my composure and eventually was successful in doing so. But, I was overwhelmed and never forgot the kindness, the awareness and the comfort extended to me by Susie---a young woman so very young! Susie could not have been more than 17 years old! I was totally amazed! She truly is an angel and her daily ministry to others has endeared her to everyone. She is known throughout the community as a young woman of virtue, compassion and kindness.
When Christopher told me that he loved Susie and that he wanted to marry her after his mission, I was so very excited for him. I knew he had made a very wise choice in selecting someone so very special. Susie, you are one of Heavenly Father's choicest daughters! And, we are so very blessed that you have become a member of our family forever! I love you sweetheart!

No comments: