Friday, June 27, 2008

The Prophet Joseph Smith--A Great Man, An Awesome Legacy

Today is the 164th anniversary of the martyrdom of our Prophet, Joseph Smith. He was murdered during his incarceration at Carthage Jail, in Carthage Illinois, after being unjustly imprisoned. His brother Hyrum was also murdered on that fateful day.

I can not recall the story of their deaths, and that of another of their brothers, Samuel, shortly thereafter, without tears welling up in my eyes. How Lucy Mack Smith, their mother, endured the loss of three sons through such horrendous means---cold-blooded murder, or how their wives, also endured their loss, I just can not imagine.

Yet, it is because Joseph Smith labored all his life to restore the true church of Jesus Christ, that the ordinances and the promises of having our families sealed to us; to live forever together in the next life-- are once again available to us all!

I owe so very much to this great man, this amazing prophet of God. My life would be so very different had he not been so very courageous and valiant in serving our God. It is through him that I have received the greatest blessings that I have, bar none. I was baptized at 8 years of age because Joseph Smith restored the true Priesthood of God and the keys of authority were once again given to man to perform these saving ordinances! I can now return to live with my Heavenly Father and My Heavenly Mother, along with all my kindred, if I just remain faithful until the end!

And on numerous occasions, I have requested Priesthood blessings, for sickness, for stress or for counsel, and again, because Joseph Smith restored the Priesthood authority, many times, I have witnessed the power of God through the men of our day which hold that same Priesthood authority; passed down directly from our beloved Prophet, Joseph Smith who received his authority directly from Peter, James, John and John the Baptist, who of course, received their authority from Jesus Christ, HIMSELF.

My understanding of my Savior and Redeemer, my ability to read precious passages about the atonement that was wrought through Jesus Christ, My LORD and my all, have been made possible because Joseph Smith translated the ancient record of the Nephites and Lamanites---now called the Book of Mormon. These ancient prophets also testified of Jesus Christ and some actually saw HIM face to face. Their clear and concise testimonies of our Savior are so very sweet to me.

The perfect plan of happiness which is authored by our Loving Father in Heaven was also provided to us through this sacred record, the Book of Mormon, which is a perfect companion to the Bible. Joseph Smith provided additional scriptures and all that he was able to reveal using the power given to him by GOD, has only increased and enlightened my understanding of the truths found in the Bible.

I have been blessed to be born and raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I do not know how I would have ever been able to raise my own children with the standards, morals and the truths of Jesus Christ's ministry and His admonitions of correct and Christian living without being a member of this wonderful church and having all the awesome resources that this church provides.

My heart is so very full of the deepest gratitude today, for the self-less sacrifice of one of the greatest men to walk this earth, even Joseph Smith. I just would not even wish to know how very different my life would be without all that he did provide us with as he courageously and boldly restored to the earth, the true Church of Jesus Christ, along with all of it's saving ordinances, and doctrines and teachings. I would not be who I am today without the hope, faith and baptism that he did restore to the earth on April 6th, 1830. I am humbled that he did do so very much for all mankind. And, because all of God's prophets are a type of Jesus Christ, in many ways, he exemplified the Master whom he served! He was a witness for the Savior and he gave his life for him and for us as well.

I love the Lord, and I humbly bow before HIM and before the great men of all the ages that have served HIM as HIS prophets. I pray that one day, I will be given the privilege to thank all those great prophets, Joseph Smith being one, that have been God's voice to direct HIS people on this earth. For, I have been so very blessed by their sacrifices, their examples and their very lives. I pray that I will in some small way, be just as serviceable to the LORD in helping and loving and caring for my fellowmen while I inhabit this earth.

No comments: