Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day, Pioneer Heritage

OK, so hopefully I have not missed the chance to post on this day! Pioneer Day is celebrated here in Utah July 24th! It is a state holiday in which all the area businesses are closed and there are parades and picnics and fireworks---fireworks that rival those on July 4th! At least that is the way it used to be. This evening, though, for the first time in years, the city did NOT set off fireworks. Evidently, it is now considered an affront to celebrate such a "religious" holiday. There are those that are not "MORMON" and do not share the legacy of faith and sacrifice exhibited by the pioneers that settled this state.

You know, it really is not at all about religion---at least it doesn't have to be. I think that any group of people that served humanity as well, should absolutely be honored. I happily celebrate other holidays that are not exclusively my own or relate to my own heritage. I wear green on St. Patrick's Day and I am neither Catholic or Irish! BUT, I can get just as excited about going "green" as anyone else! Why is it that we are all so very easily offended by other's beliefs and traditions? Why can we not all be happy for the distinct heritages and, as a courtesy, be tolerant and polite and be genuinely happy to honor and celebrate with other cultures, people and religions--- those fore bearers that have given us whatever honorable legacy that they have?

I am so very proud and feel a great sense of reverence for my own pioneer heritage. I am in awe of the multitude of sacrifices and the legacy of faith and perseverance. There are so many lessons that the pioneers left for us all---whether we are their direct descendants or not!

For instance, did you know that the Mormon Trail was improved upon by each company that used it, for the express purpose of making the trail more passable and pleasant for the next group to traverse its path? That is in stark contrast to the California/Oregon Trail. Those travelers, bent upon seeking their own fortunes, and so filled with greed, were intent to prevent any future travelers from ever making the journey---or at least they were willing to destroy the path and make the journey far more arduous. In this day where sacrifice and concern for others seems to be so very rare, I feel it is imperative that we hold aloft that pioneer behavior as an ensign to all people. How wonderful it would be if we had far more individuals that were willing to emulate that type of behavior. All of society benefits when we focus on such positive role models. Isn't it these type of morals and values that we desperately need to inculcate in our youth of today? How do we do that UNLESS we honor and celebrate those who have shown such character---not just in a time of ease and luxury, but, during some of the most difficult and trying times of privation and struggle? Believe me, the pioneers did not have a life of ease, and yet, most did, in fact, exhibit the greatest kind of self-sacrifice and concern and character imaginable!

Many left well established, comfortable homes and communities. Many were forced out into the winter cold to suffer, and some died due to the cruel, harsh exposure to the bitter elements. They had no idea where they would eventually settle. They just knew they were to head west, following their newly appointed Prophet and leader, Brigham Young. And, in spite of the most severe persecution and hostile treatment---many lost their homes to deliberately set fires, or they were driven at gun-point, from their lands---none of the Mormon Pioneer's sought to return evil for the evil way in which they were treated! They submissively left home, lands and possessions in order to seek a haven in the west where they could worship GOD and peacefully live the gospel of Jesus Christ. Remember that when they fled the Midwest, there were no Walmart stores, no 7-Eleven convenience stores with which to purchase needed supplies! They had to rely on the Lord, and upon their wits and they were so very creative in meeting their needs!

Again, I say, I am in awe of the great sacrifices and the great courage, strength and perseverance exhibited daily as the pioneers went west to find a refuge from the hatred and abuse of those who misunderstood them. Today, I reverence their memory and their legacy and I pray for an increase in tolerance for all. I am certain that tolerance and true love of all mankind is what they would seek for us, especially since that is what was denied to them! I long for the day when all men and women can treat each other as the Savior taught us to treat each other. And, I am certain that the most important thing I can do, is make certain that I behave so within the walls of my own home, in my own community and among my own family, neighbors, acquaintances and friends. "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with ME!"

No comments: