Sunday, August 17, 2008

Carrie Ann Hildebrandt

Well, I had written an entire post for Carrie, and it was just swiftly swept away, thanks to the wonderful world of computer glitches! I will begin again! Carrie Ann is my 4th daughter, 5th child. Carrie Ann was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan January 27th, 1990 at just after 1:00 in the morning. She was due February 4th and I was hoping that she would wait one more day and share my mother's birth date of February 5th! I had decided early on that I wanted to have a baby in each of the 12 months of the year. I had January covered with Christopher's birth! So, having a due date of February was perfect. I had the months of March, June and August covered as well...my plan was unfolding perfectly! But, it was not to be...

My mother had been able to come to assist me the latter part of January. I had (my now) weekly appointment with the Nurse Mid-wife on January 26th, and I had a long list of things to do that day as well. Mom stayed with the other children at our apartment at the University of Michigan's student housing while I took myself to my "routine" appointment. I was still suffering from nausea and vomiting. I had been losing weight throughout the pregnancy--this was typical for me. I think I had only gained 10 pounds by this time, and I was just days away from being full term! The one thing that was NOT typical was a reoccurring sense that I was NOT pregnant. NOW because I had gained so little, it might have just been that, but, when I would lay down on my bed, and I tried to feel my baby, it seemed that I was NOT pregnant. It was such an odd feeling, and it was very unsettling. I decided that I would just mention it to the nurse mid-wife. I will always be eternally grateful that I did. Rather than just dismiss my unsettled feelings, she insisted that we do a fetal stress test. During the test, I could see that the technician was concerned. After the test, I met again with the mid-wife, and she told me that she had some concerns and felt it was imperative that I be admitted immediately.

I told her that today just was NOT a good day for me. I told her that I just had too many pressing errands, but, I told her that I would happily return after I had done at least a few things on my list. Then, the Mid-wife shocked me by stating that if I left the hospital then, she could NOT guarantee that my baby would survive. Well, that got my attention! I tearfully called my mother and told her that I was being admitted right that minute and I requested that she convey the news to Gary. I then began praying fervently for the safety of my baby.

I was given an IV and they began to administer pitocin to induce labor. But, the dosage, though it produced contractions, did NOT effectively help in the progression of the labor. So, I was given a hand-held mask and was told that with the contractions, I could inhale the nitrous oxide to help mitigate the pain. Gary was sitting in the chair next to my bed and dosed off and on through-out the night. Steadily over eight hours, they increased the dose, but, to no avail. I was no closer to delivering the baby, and the signs of fetal distress were becoming more and more alarming. By the time midnight arrived, an OB/GYN was in my room telling me that they could wait no longer to deliver the baby. I was going to have to sign the papers and they would be prepping me for a C-Section. I was scared and I was concerned for the life of my baby. I prayed once again, and pleaded with the Lord to allow the baby to be born, safely and swiftly.

Then, just minutes after they had turned OFF the pitocin drip, I had a SUPER contraction. Then, another and another. The pain was so very intense, it was all I could do to just hold onto the mask and inhale the nitrous as deeply as possible! By the time the fourth contraction hit, I was unable to move the mask from my face, but, I could feel the baby crowning! Gary, was asleep and I could not get his attention. I prayed again for help and the nurse entered the room. As she lifted the sheet to check me, she saw the baby crowning and things began to roll! Within the next 10 minutes, Carrie was born! It was then clear as to the reason her heart-rate dropped with her movements and with my contractions. The cord was wrapped multiple times and so very tightly around her tiny neck! It took a great deal of effort just to cut the cord from around her neck! How grateful I was that the nurse mid-wife was so very in tune. I knew at that moment that had I left the hospital that day, without mentioning my fears, without that stress test, Carrie would have strangled to death prior to a chance at birth. What a miracle and a huge blessing!

No comments: